Type of housing and building that exist in 19th century is called art deco. Art deco is a designed that comes out in 1966 in the exhibitions of “Les Annexes 25”. The name of art deco was founded by the Musée des Arts Decoratifs in Paris, France. The art deco type of housing not just exists and develops in Paris, but it comesout around the Europe such as in Dutch. The art deco is the inspiration from Europe. Art deco at that time is the fashion trend in everything.
The design of art deco type of housing is use the profile in every single open corner. The design also needs a lot of budget due to the details and ornaments as the icon. Besides house, the art deco design also applied in museum, station, government office and so on. The existence of art deco shows how the modernization is comes out with the different appearance and new. The art deco type of housing left the old style behind. It shows from the design, details, colors, materials and decorations. Below are some characteristics of the art deco type of housing.
- Ziggurat which is the structures like a stairs. That shows the influence of Babylonia and Egypt.
- Curved side of the building
- Flat roof is get from the cubism style. Some of the roof also has parapet and tower.
- Glass block to help the sun lighting to make the house have natural lighting.
- Abstract in the design. The art deco design sometimes combines the shape, ornaments and texture to give the abstract impression. That abstract will give additional point.
– Varian colors. All the colors can use for the art deco style, but the priority is conspicuous colors.
- Varian materials means all the materials also can be used.
- Artistic furniture
- Big glass to give bigger impression into the house.